‘I found my husband crying in wet nappies’ [diapers]: Widow tells of horror after visiting husband dying from leukaemia in hospital

Andrew Beveridge was admitted three times to Victoria Hospital. He begged his wife not to return him there before he died during his final visit

Andrew Beveridge was admitted three times to Victoria Hospital. He begged his wife not to return him there before he died during his final visit

A widow has condemned the ‘horrific’ treatment of her husband in an NHS hospital where he was left crying in wet nappies.

Grandfather Andrew Beveridge, 80, who was suffering from leukaemia, was forced to wash in a basin when he was first arrived as the showers were not working.

During his second stay he contracted staphylococcus and septicemia after being put in an open ward.

Conditions were so bad he begged his wife Janet not to make him go back a third time during which he contracted a chest infection and died last month.

Mrs Beveridge, 73, said her sobbing husband was left alone in wet nappies on more than one occasion.

She said: ‘Andrew used a sheath so that he didn’t have to go to the toilet and they didn’t have his size in the hospital.

‘I packed some for him but nurses failed to do what they were supposed to and I found him crying in wet nappies on two separate occasions.

‘It’s the indignity of all these little things that upsets me.’

Mrs Beveridge said she had to clean up another patient’s urine in another care failure at Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy, Fife.

She said: ‘When Andrew was taken into hospital he felt unwell and was told he could lie down on a bed.

‘But someone had just got up from the bed and there were bits of food on the table and urine on the floor.
Mr Beveridge’s widow said she found him crying in wet nappies on two separate occasions

Mr Beveridge’s widow said she found him crying in wet nappies on two separate occasions

‘A nurse changed the bed but my daughter and I had to clean up the other mess. It wasn’t a difficult job but it shouldn’t have been us doing it.’

Mrs Beveridge also told how she had to pester staff to perform an X-ray on her husband after noticing that his stomach had become swollen.

She said: ‘I was really worried about it and said to one of the nurses but she told me not to worry about it.

‘My sister had the same thing before she died two years ago so I was concerned about it and asked them to do an X-ray.

‘I spoke to Andrew later that evening and he told me he had an X-ray.’

It was the last conversation Janet had with her husband who died in the early hours of January 12.

Janet said the indignities continued after his death when she went to the hospital to collect his belongings and was told to choose from a number of unmarked brown envelopes.

She said: ‘There were carrier bags full of other people’s belongings lying on the floor and my daughter was horrified.

‘There were no names on any of the envelopes and it was a case of ‘take your pick’.

‘My husband’s expensive Rotary watch was in one of the envelopes and anyone could have taken it.’

When daughter Elaine noticed her father’s rings were missing from the envelope she was told they were probably still on his body and they would have to wait two hours until the mortuary opened.

Janet said: ‘I know that it was his time but it shouldn’t have been the way it was.

‘I’m having a meeting with NHS Fife but I don’t know what will happen. I expect they will have their excuses ready. I’m just hoping that no other patients have to go through what we have.

‘For a whole year, it was just one catastrophe after another and the same things have been happening to other people in the area.

‘It’s so frustrating. Nothing will bring Andrew back but someone has to try to do something because it isn’t good enough.’

NHS Fife confirmed the family had been in touch and a spokeswoman added: ‘Once we receive the details of their concerns we will investigate the issues raised.’

SOURCE

More than 4,000 people ‘are dying needlessly at 26 NHS trusts’ every year as analysis suggests that scandal at Stafford Hospital was not isolated case

More than 4,000 patients a year are dying needlessly in the care of 26 NHS trusts, a study shows.

The analysis suggests the scandal at Stafford hospital – where 1,200 are thought to have died through neglect – was not an isolated case.

The figure of 26 represents one in six of the country’s health trusts. David Cameron has already responded to the Mid Staffordshire crisis by ordering probes into five trusts with high mortality rates.

But Brian Jarman, a globally-recognised expert on hospital performance, believes 21 more should be added to the list.

To come up with that figure, the professor compared the numbers of patients who would normally be expected to die at a trust with the number of actual deaths. The ‘normal’ figure is based on admissions and illnesses.

His technique – developed in the 1990s – led to the realisation in 2007 that too many patients were dying at Mid Staffordshire.
30 nurses cleared of wrongdoing

Further evidence of widespread problems comes with the revelation that solicitors are preparing to act against nine trusts accused of neglecting elderly patients.

Emma Jones from Leigh Day’s human rights team, which represented 120 victims of abuse at Mid Staffordshire, said: ‘We have been contacted by patients from hospitals across the UK over the past few days with fresh horror stories relating to their treatment and care, many of them distressingly similar to the events at Stafford.

‘Given that many of the problems identified by [the Francis Inquiry into Stafford] relate to systemic failures within the NHS, I do not believe that the events at Stafford were isolated or that the problems are consigned to the past.’

The trusts facing legal action by the firm include Barking, Havering and Redbridge, Epsom and St Helier, Worcester Acute, North Stafford, West Suffolk, Dudley, North Middlesex, Surrey and Sussex and Sandwell and West Birmingham.

Last night the Royal College of Nursing blamed ‘dangerously’ low staffing levels for the high death rates at the five trusts to be investigated at Mr Cameron’s behest.

They pointed out that 1,700 nursing posts had been lost across the five.

Dr Peter Carter, general secretary of the RCN, said: ‘The appalling events at Mid Staffs were caused by a combination of an unacceptable culture, poor leadership and a board who put finance before patients. This focus on finance saw the trust reduce nursing numbers to dangerous levels.

‘Trusts cannot be allowed to let staffing levels, particularly clinical posts such as nurses, fall to unsafe levels. Trusts cannot keep cutting posts without disastrous consequences.’

Nurses who worked at Mid Staffordshire confessed that they would leave their shift in tears over the distress inflicted on so many patients.

Staff admitted they became ‘immune to the sound’ of pain and were more concerned with targets than basic care.

The Francis Inquiry called for sweeping reforms including jail for staff who fail to tell the truth and ‘compassion checks’ for nurses.

The head of the NHS was facing growing calls to step down yesterday. The investigator who carried out the original inquiry into Mid Staffordshire said Sir David Nicholson should go.

Heather Wood, who headed the 2009 Healthcare Commission probe but has since joined the campaign group Cure the NHS, said: ‘If this were a private sector organisation that had failed to such an extent, we would be calling for the boss to take responsibility.’

‘There is a big case to answer for the creation of that culture, and at the heart of that is the current chief executive of the NHS.’

SOURCE

Former director of nursing among 67 medical staff accused of failings in Stafford Hospital scandal who have already been CLEARED of wrongdoing in secret hearings

Almost 70 medical staff who faced disciplinary action after 1,200 patients died needlessly at Stafford Hospital have already been cleared in secret hearings, including the most senior nurse at the height of the scandal.

Helen Moss was director of nursing from 2006 to 2009 when care reached ‘appalling’ standards, yet has been told she has ‘no case to answer’ and is now working as a management consultant.

In the last few years 29 nurses and 38 doctors from Stafford Hospital – 67 in total – were cleared at private hearings that considered complaints that will never be made public.

The allegations, made by police, the public and other medical staff, were all thrown out at an early stage, so regulators refuse to publish the details.

A report by Robert Francis QC published yesterday highlighted the ‘appalling and unnecessary suffering of hundreds of patients’ in Stafford, as the Prime Minister revealed that nobody has been struck off or disciplined for their part in the biggest NHS scandal in history.

The sick and vulnerable were left for hours sitting in their own urine and excrement, drink was left out of reach forcing them to glug water from vases and hygiene was so poor that relatives had to clean toilets themselves.

Julie Bailey, whose mother Bella died in harrowing circumstances at Stafford Hospital, says she has been inundated with complaints from others from all over Britain about about NHS standards.

Speaking about the lack of disciplinary action following the scandal she told the BBC: ‘I’d like to say I was surprised, but I’m not. This is how the NHS is. It is one big roundabout where they get on, fail, and then get on somewhere else.

‘Those in charge then (at Stafford) have already gone, resigned and gone to other jobs with huge pay packets.

‘The chief executive was so unwell he couldn’t give evidence to the (Francis) Inquiry, but he has made a mockery of it because he is now working for another organisation in the area.

‘We need radical action. We need leaders in the NHS. Something has gone terribly wrong and unless we make a stand now we will lose the NHS. Just rewarding people for failure cannot continue.’
Targets: Mrs Bailey’s wall is adorned with names her group blames for poor standards, including current head of the NHS David Nicholson, Cynthia Bower, former head of the CQC and former Trust boss Toni Brisby

In total, 29 nurses who worked at Stafford Hospital during its darkest days have been cleared of wrongdoing in private ‘Investigating Committee’ hearings held by regulator the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

This is the first stage of the process which decides whether there is a case to answer.

Two individuals have been cleared in public, with ten more still facing charges at future hearings.

Meanwhile 42 doctors were referred to the General Medical Council during the scandal, but only four face a public hearing.

Figures given to MailOnline show 22 doctors were given ‘advice’ but no punishment, and 21 were told they had no case to answer.

Healthcare assistant Bonka Kostova faces a hearing next week after she was accused of dragging a 73-year-old patient around by the collar of his pyjamas.

Ms Kostova joined Stafford Hospital at the end of its scandal and allegedly abused Patient A on a night shift and told him ‘you are no longer a human being but an animal’.

Nurse Reni Biju will also face the NMC hearing, accused of telling fellow nurses in 2008 a patient with heart problems was well. But the critically ill woman was not breathing and died shortly afterwards.

Despite this incident she was allowed to carry on working there for two more years, until she was accused of ill-treating a patient by ignoring her repeated requests to be taken to the toilet.

Nurses who worked in the hospital complained of bullying from the top down, with senior staff ‘ruling with fear’ and treating patients ‘like an inconvenience’.

Helene Donnelly told the Francis Inquiry that she tried to raise the alarm, said: ‘It went right to the top that people didn’t want to know. And I think that’s why things got so extreme at Stafford.’

After being cleared at a hearing on January 23 this year, after a Nursing and Midwifery Council panel considered two complaints, Helen Moss now works for Ernst & Young as a consultant.

Her company won a contract to look at the financial viability of Mid Staffs NHS Foundation Trust, but Ernst and Young confirmed she would not be working on it. They also told MailOnline she was not available for comment.

Ms Moss was director of nursing at the time, and took over from Jan Harry, 60, who has been suspended pending a NMC hearing in March.

Campaigner Julie Bailey is furious that not one member of staff has been disciplined or struck off following the scandal.

The families of those who suffered in Staffordshire have called for NHS chief Sir David Nicholson, who oversaw standards at Stafford during the scandal, and Royal College of Nursing (RCN) chief executive Peter Carter to resign.

‘From all over the country I get emails asking for help, help for the complaints procedure, people that are actually suffering on the wards today, asking for help, from the particular hospitals that have been identified last night, but also other hospitals’, Miss Bailey said.

‘I can take these complaints down to particular wards within hospitals, they are so frequent, but there’s just nobody to help these people, and this is the huge problem that’s going on throughout the whole of the country.

‘We know the NHS does some wonderful things but we also know it’s doing some awful things to people, and they’re our most vulnerable.’

In a growing crisis for the NHS it has also two other UK hospitals are now facing legal action from 18 people whose loved-ones had their human rights breached with sub-standard care, it was also revealed today.

The BBC says claimants are targeting the Queen’s Hospital in Romford in east London and Eastbourne District General and blame them for early deaths.

Yesterday it emerged that five more trusts – Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust, Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Blackpool Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and East Lancashire Hospitals NHS Trust – are to be investigated after they had higher-than-average death rates for two years running.

SOURCE

British grade school tells parents to stop children using slang phrases as it is preventing them from learning ‘standard’ English

Particularly in England, pronunciation and grammar matter hugely, so this school is just doing its job

Parents have been sent letters from a school urging them to stop their children using phrases such as ‘it’s nowt’ and ‘gizit ere’.

Sacred Heart Primary School, a Roman Catholic Voluntary Aided school, warned against ‘problem’ phrases and criticised children using pronunciations, such as ‘free’ and ‘butta’ instead of ‘three’ and ‘butter’.

The letter spells out 11 ‘incorrect’ phrases. ‘I done that’ and ‘I seen that’ were blacklisted, and parents were reminded that ‘yous’ should not be permitted because ‘you is never a plural’.
Sacred Heart School sends grammar and pronunciation letter

SACRED HEART’S BLACKLISTED LOCAL LANGUAGE

It’s nowt – it’s nothing
Letta, butta etc – letter, butter
Gizit ere – please give me it
Yous – the word you is never a plural
I seen that – I have seen that or I saw that
I done that – I have done that or I did that

Carol Walker, Sacred Heart’s headteacher, defended the letter, saying: ‘We would like to equip our children to go into the world of work and not be disadvantaged. ‘We need the children to know there is a difference between dialect, accent and standard English. ‘The literacy framework asks children to write in standard English.

‘I am not asking the children to change their dialect or accent but I don’t want them to enter the world of work without knowing about standard English.’

Parents seemed broadly in favour of the language initiative, though they were taken aback to receive the letter.

Cheryl Fortune, 35, a school escort for Middlesbrough Council and parent at Sacred Heart, said: ‘When I saw it I was a bit shocked. I thought my kids are only eight and five, so it is a bit extreme.

‘If I am honest though my eldest son said “yeah” last night and my youngest said “it’s yes”, so he corrected him. I can understand why the school has done it, to encourage people to speak properly.’

Another parent, engineer Chris Allinson, 31, hadn’t seen the letter but thought it was a good idea. He said: ‘I try to correct my daughter Jasmine’s speech if she says things wrongly. I want her to get the best start in life.’

Sacred Heart is not the only school where accent is an issue.

Essex school children at the Cherry Tree Primary School in Basildon are being offered elocution lessons after teachers complained that the accent was affecting their grammar and spelling.

Famous Essex girl Billie Faiers [known principally for very large breasts] from TOWIE was less than impressed, saying: ‘I think it is ridiculous that kids so young are being forced to act a certain way. ‘Both me and my sister have never had any sort of elocution lessons and it did not do us any harm.’

Sheffield’s Springs Academy banned slang and ‘text speak’ last year in the hope of giving its pupils a better chance of getting a job.

Kathy August, deputy chief executive of the trust that runs the school, explained: ‘When you are going for interviews you need to be confident in using standard English.’

However this angered local MP Angela Smith, who said: ‘Who is going to adjudicate? Who is going to say slang, dialect or accent? And which one is right and which one is wrong?’

On the other end of the spectrum, parents in Ceredigion complained their children were not learning enough ‘standard English’.

They set up a campaign group in West Wales last year, making a formal complaint to Keith Towler, Children’s Commissioner for Wales, that their children were being ‘forced’ to speak Welsh.

SOURCE

Advertisements

About jonjayray

I am former member of the Australia-Soviet Friendship Society, former anarcho-capitalist and former member of the British Conservative party. The kneejerk response of the Green/Left to people who challenge them is to say that the challenger is in the pay of "Big Oil", "Big Business", "Big Pharma", "Exxon-Mobil", "The Pioneer Fund" or some other entity that they see, in their childish way, as a boogeyman. So I think it might be useful for me to point out that I have NEVER received one cent from anybody by way of support for what I write. As a retired person, I live entirely on my own investments. I do not work for anybody and I am not beholden to anybody
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s